Making your own USB Data Cable

If you have USB cables lying in your drawer, they could be of lots of use in case of emergency. Take my case itself, a few days back the Data Cable of my USB Hard Disk went faulty when I desperately required it for some crucial data. So I scanned by drawer for those spare USB ables that my supplier had given me along with the Printer. The problem was that I only required the Male-end of the cable which would connect to my PC & not the smaller end which connected to the Printer. Similarly I found another similar USB cable.

Now I cut both the cables cautiously knowing that the USB Data Cable length should not exceed 1 meter, else my USB Hard Disk woul stop working. Then I found the USB cable colouring standards from Wikipedia. But to my surprise only of the these cables followed the standard, while the other one wasn't doing so.


With little bit of tweaking, I could trace the similar ends of both the cables & also found my Hard Disk started working with the wiring. To ensure proper connectivity it is recommended to solder the cables rather than just twisting it.

A little bit of final packaging & your hand made USB Data Cable is ready.

Isn't it easy to make? Make your own BEST out of WASTE now.



No comments: