Successful e-Filing of Tax Returns

This is the second consecutive year when I have successfully filed my Tax Returns electronically. There have been some minor improvements in e-filing the returns. The ITR-2 return preparation utility is now exclusively in excel format & the PDF utility has been phased out. Last year I had faced a major problem where the PDF utility would not pickup data regarding my Advance Taxes paid which was linked to a different page in the same PDF. Also the XML file generated would pop-up a lot of errors while uploading on the e-filing portal. It was later traced by me that the web application would not accept special characters in the Address field.




This year the XML upload has been really smooth & I successfully filed my returns in the first attempt itself & the Portal also sent me an acknowledgement mail containing the ITR-V form. If all the technical terms used in this post sound like Greek & Latin to you then please refer to the e-filing portal & you could also take a clue from my previous post on ABCs of Filing E-returns of Income Tax.

Do get back to me if you have any queries & I would be Happy2Help U :)

2 comments:

devdatt said...

The income from other sources part is not perfect.
If you include dividend and tax free interest in this income and then fill up the relevant columns in the Exempt income columns, the exempt income does not get reduced automatically and you realise this only after you have generated the ITR V verification form..
you may have to then file a revised return and file verification for original and the revised return together..

Baudhayan Lahiri said...

Oh, since you have filled up that section you might be able to tell that better. Last year I faced a similar problem with the PDF Return Preparation utility, the solution is to generate the XML & then edit it at the back end using Notepad or any other text editor. I then finally uploaded the edited XML & everything went on fine.