Recollecting my Computing History

As I went through this months Digit Magazines editorial it instantly took me to my good old computing past. It was the year 1989 when I joined St.Joseph's Central School (CBSE Board), Mysore from St.Rita's School (State Board). In these days Computers in school were pretty new in almost all parts of India. I was lucky enough to be imparted education in a school which was rated one of the best schools in Mysore. Since our school was always ahead when it came to imparting the best things available, so it also happened with computers. In the period 1989-90 computers gradually started within our schools premises due to a tie-up with a local computer institute called Zephyr institute.

The Zephyr guys used to carry a handful of the big IBM 386 machined with 5 1/2" floppy drives in the morning & at the days end would take it back. This was very disappointing to few students like me & few others who suddenly discovered there nac towards this stream. Then came the period 1990-91 when our school set-up their own Computer Lab & bought around 6-10 machines. I was in the 7th Std during this period & started learning DBase III+, DBase IV, GW-BASIC & Lotus 1-2-3 in the years that came in. I used to always excel in this subject & used to be my computer teachers' pet. To relax, we used to sneak in to the Computer Lab in the lunch hours & request the computer teacher to play Round 42, Gobman, Packman, Mario, Chess & many other games. Round 42 used to be my favourite game those days. During this period I couldn't even dream of owning my own machine since my family was not that financially strong those days. I used to often visit my friend Harish's bunglow to play some Car Racing games on his machine. This is the way I used to satisfy my needs.

In the year 1994 I shifted to Mumbai & joined the junior college. During the period 1993-19 of 94 I had lost quite a lot of touch with computers. Oh... yes... it was now called the PC. My dad used to take me to his office to practice typing & Word perfect. Time went past & I cleared my 12th & joined B.Sc. During this period my dad did a tremendous job of enrolling me to NIIT's GNIIT course, a decision which I feel changed my life. At NIIT I truely discovered that I was good in this field & thought of going ahead with a carrrier in IT. My NIIT institute located at Hasanabad Lane at Santacruz (W) was a tremendous place for me. Since it was close to my house, I used to spend quite a lot of time here if not in the college. The trainers here were very good & it also housed the NIIT Drome, a dedicated computing area to spend your own time on research. I used to research on a lot of latest technologies available those days (1996). Though the GNIIT course mostly taught me coding, I realised how good I was in IT. I was a topper in my GNIIT course in most of my semesters.

Year 1999, I graduated in Physics & joined B.Tech (Electronic Instrumentation). Since my marks in B.Sc were not very good, I didn't get an option to select Computer technology. Anyways, I continued this way & was happy that Electronic Instrumentation taught me how computers can be interfaced with Engineering devices. My passion towards core computing, which had now diverted from coding to IT Infrastructure Services (Servers, Networks, etc) still continued. Finally I graduated from my college in 2002 as a University Topper (All Streams) & joined NCR Corporation as a Network Analyst, my first job in the world of IT Infrastructure.

This is my Computing History & my passion towards IT still continues.

No comments: