DIY Home-made Hand Sanitizer

Due to the pandemic of Corona Virus, sale of Hand Sanitizers shot up. While trying to buy one for my family from Amazon, I ended up buying something which looked similar, but was a "Menthol perfumed Detton Disinfectant liquid". To ensure that my purchase doesn't go for a waste, I Googled and realised that making your own DIY Hand Sanitizer was really easy.

Ingredients -
1. Isopropyl Alcohol (99.9% pure).
2. Aloe Vera gel.
3. Essential Oils.


Isopropyl Alcohol is nothing but Surgical Spirit. What is commonly available in your local Chemist store is 70% pure. I was told that even a 70% pure sample is good for use. Aloe Vera has disinfectant properties. Since I already had a Dettol Disinfectant, it could act as a substitute for Aloe Vera gel. The essential oils are required to ensure that your skin remains hydrated.

I could get hold of a 100 ml Surgical Spirit of 70% purity, which was also running short of supply. I did some reverse calculations to find the right composition for my own Hand Sanitizer - if I wanted to make 1 bottle with 100 ml of Spirit, then I required 50 ml of Disinfectant. I quickly got hold of a dispenser, transferred full bottle (100 ml) of Surgical Spirit and used half of the empty bottle to measure Dettol Disinfectant (50 ml). Transferred the Disinfectant  to the dispenser and that's it!

While I currently don't have Essential Oils, I still have a basic DIY Hand Sanitizer ready for use. If required, I can use a moisturizing lotion later on to ensure that my skin remains hydrated.

Why not try it out yourself and share your experience.

No comments: