A FASTag which arrived SLOWly!

Around early Aug'19 the news of Fastag implementation on Indian Toll Plazas had just started popping up. Being an early technology adopter of Technology I did some research and finally applied for it around end of August on PayTM. The application process was pretty simple - provide your Vehicle's Registration Number, upload the pics of your Driving License and RC Book. I received an acknowledgement of the application with an estimated delivery date of approx. 2+ weeks from the date of application. 

1st Episode: Till the date of delivery there is absolutely no notification from PayTM. I also see that a Fastag Wallet on PayTM is created for me. Just before the delivery day I receive a notification from PayTM that due to technical reasons my Fastag application couldn't be processed, without any further details provided. The notification told me that I can apply once again.

2nd Episode: Around the 1st week of Oct'19 I applied once again. A similar story repeated - just before the day of delivery I received a similar notification from PayTM. Now my tempers started to run high. Having found no means to talk to a Voice Helpdesk and vent my frustration, I could only log a ticket through a Chat Helpdesk. I received a response after few days stating that since my earlier Fastag wallet wasn't cancelled, the new application got rejected. The Helpdesk now asked me to raise a ticket to cancel my Fastag wallet and once cancelled, apply once again. I obliged to this once again and applied once again once the wallet was cancelled.

 3rd Episode: It's early November now and I have just applied once again for Fastag through PayTM with the estimated delivery date around 21st November. On 20th Nov though I keep my fingers crossed, receive a different notification from PayTM saying that it is taking more time to process the application and the Fastag will be delivered soon. This time I also receive a call from their Helpdesk and the lady on the other side is still unable to confirm when the Fastag would finally be delivered. After a week or so my worst fears come true, my application is again rejected stating technical reasons.

Final episode: It's just about 1st December and I still don't have the Fastag which was expected to go live by then. After this frustrating expereince I share my feedback with PayTM helpdesk on twitter only to receive some standard responses without even trying to understand the case history and be customer centric to resolve it. 
I have now finally decided to take the HDFC Bank way by applying through HDFC Bank. The application process is pretty simple here too (just a little more information requested). At the end of my application I receive an Application number which also tells that it would be mailed to my email id and my Fastag would be delivered in the next 1 week (I am happy). This time I have started treading my path carefully. I take a screenshot of this Application acknowledgement. HDFC Bank also has its own flaws. I never receive the copy of the application. But after 5 days or so I receive notifications that my Fastag wallet is created (with credentials provided) and then I am notified that my Fastag will be delivered within the next 3-4 days. During this entire application process at HDFC, I tried calling the HDFC Fastag helpline 1800-120-1243 several times to check my application status. In most cases it ends up being busy or unanswered.

On 4th December I finally receive a FASTag in the SLOWest possible time. By now the deadline to commence Fastag operations has moved from 1st to 15th Dec. I should say that it has been a nightmare for me and many others who embarked on this journey. Hopefully the government will ensure that we have smoother rides across toll plazas rather than facing traffic snarls.

No comments: