Best Out of Waste: Building a Fast and Easy Internet Browsing Terminal with your old PC

A few days back my high-end HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook crashed due to a Hardware failure. Though it was my primary PC for all purposes - Music, Videos, Desktop Publishing, Photography, etc., for my dad and other family members it was primarily meant for Internet browsing and also sometimes for Videos and Music.

While my PC productivity remains unaffected due to my alternate personal Notebook, the other family members started desperately complaining since there was no Browsing Terminal available. So if you have a similar situation I have a solution for you.


From my stash I found 2 useful items - a working Pentium 4 Desktop (almost 10 years old and with 1 GB RAM and a 160 GB HDD recovered from an old Sky Set Top Box) and another Lenovo S 10-2 Netbook (almost 6 years old and with Intel Atom Processor with 1 GB RAM and a 160 GB HDD) and a couple of Wireless G USB adaptors. While the P4 Desktop was my preferred choice, but I selected the Netbook due to its low space requirements and integrated monitor.

After doing some research on the Net I finally stumbled on the best solution to convert my slow, lagging Netbook into a very good Internet Browsing Terminal / Cyber Cafe PC. While I will not go into very details, I will share the link to the OS which will provide you this functionality. I am talking about nothing but the lubuntu OS which is a lightweight and fast flavor of the Linux distro  ubuntu . You can get further details of lubuntu from http://lubuntu.net/ . 

Here is the process to make your old PC a lubuntu PC -
1. Download the .iso file (depending on whether you have a 32 bit or 64 bit processor) from http://lubuntu.net/.
2. Keep ready a USB Thum drive with atleast 700 MB to 1 GB capacity.
3. Using another Windows PC use a Disc Imaging tool like Win32DiskImager or imageusb to load the .iso file onto the USB Thumb drive and make it a Bootable lubuntu installer.
3. Now insert the USB Thumb drive into your old Netbook / PC, change the Boot options from BIOS and Boot from the USB Thumb drive.
4. Now follow the simple and friendly installation wizard from lubuntu and complete the installation. You will find that the installer automatically detects any Windows installation on your PC and gives you the option to retain it and make your PC dual-bootable.
5. Once you have completed with your installation, reboot the PC with USB Thumb drive removed and wheeew!!!! your lubuntu PC / Internet Browsing Terminal is all ready in a matter of 10 - 15 mins.

Some important features to note about lubuntu -
1. It is lightweight, fast and easy.
2. Other than Internet browsing you have complementary Office tools which are equivalent of MS Word, etc.
3. You can also watch Videos and listen to your favorite Music.

For more details please visit...........http://lubuntu.net/

While my dad and other family members are happy and busy with the new Internet Browsing Terminal I continue to explore more and share other Tips n Tricks with you..........


No comments: