Customize your own Android Phone with CyanogenMod ROM, OnePlus One and HTC BlinkFeed

*** While this post is written with HTC One X as base. This post is applicable for any Phone which is rooted and supports CyanogenMod ROM ***

It's been almost 3 years now since the launch of HTC's flagship phone HTC One X. While there have been countless phone's launched in the past 3 years I continue to love this phone owing to its lovely camera and the lovely custom ROM's available.


The ROM I loved for the maximum duration is the ViperX ROM by Team Venom but unfortunately the updates of ViperX have moved in snails pace since the team now mostly concentrates on HTC One series. One of the main reasons I liked ViperX ROM was due to Sense 6 which in turn supported HTC's BlinkFeed launcher which I found very helpful for news aggregation.



Lately I heard the buzz around the OnePlus One Phone and after googling a bit found out that I could make my own custom Android Phone which has - frequent ROM updates, the OnePlus One interface and also HTC BlinkFeed. I will in no ways take away credits from the techies who help me achieve my goal and hence will point to links to build your own custom Android Phone -
This is the way I installed only the News Aggregation service with a non- Sense 6 ROM - 

  • I referred to the link above and downloaded HRCBlinkFeed14.zip.
  • Extracted the files into a folder and moved the files com.htc.sense.hsp.apk (HTC Service Pack) and artprismv3 (BlinkFeed Launcher)
  • Used Root Explorer mode in ESFileExplorer and assigned the following permissions to both the APK's - RW (Owner), R (Group), R (Others). If you don't do this precisely you will receive continuous Force Close errors of BlinkFeed.
  • Now install the HTC Service Pack first followed by the BlinkFeed launcher
  • Reboot your Phone and make HTC BlinkFeed as your default launcher
3. Other than this I also installed the Xposed Framework (APK downloaded from Internet) and installed the modules for "Bypass Exchange Security" and "Lock Screen Disabler". I did this to remove the lockscreen from my Phone, a restriction that was imposed by my Office's Exchange Mail account. Do remember that while having a screen lock provides security, your Phone also takes a hit on the Battery life due to the number of times you need to unlock your Phone to access it.

This post is directed towards techies who know a bit of rooting Android Phones. After my HTC One X Phone my Phone is amazingly fast now. The screenshots in this post are from my Phone after the upgrade.

Do write to me if you need help on making your Phone a wonderful one.

No comments: