Transforming your 2nd/3rd Gen iPod and Docking Station into an Internet Radio

I am a big fan of Internet Radio since I can listen to my regional songs wherever I am in this world with a Net connection. Previously I would hook up my Nokia/Android Phone to my PC speakers to listen to Internet Radio broadcasts, but last year I decided to go for a Docking station. I got a good deal at Sainsbury's UK and bought a Sony Docking station for just GBP 35. But just a docking station wouldn't be enough, I needed an iPod. Googled quite a bit and found out that the docking station supports iPod 2 and above. Bought a second hand iPod 2 for GBP 40. I then searched for the free Apps which would allow me to listen to my favorite stations. I was now all set and very much enjoying the Internet Radio experience.


Everything was working well till the day the Internet Radio Apps on my iPod started providing updates one after the other. One fine day I was in a situation where the old Apps stopped working and the new Apps would support only the latest iOS versions. Doomed.......nooooooo!!!! I am not that sort of person to get bogged down by technical hiccups. 

Started looking out for alternatives and now finally have my solution ready for stations which use Shoutcast Radio for streaming. Here is how you can rejuvenate your old iPod and Docking Station to have an ever-lasting Internet Radio experience -
(I would take the example of MastRadio.com in this Post.)
1. Search for the Internet Radio Station Shoutcast stream by googling across. 
2. Googling "mastradio.com shoutcast stream" provides me with the link http://stream.mastradio.net:8000/ . But unfortunately there is no way by which you can play this link directly on an iPod. Here is the screenshot of the website -
3. Now comes the trick through which you can play this stream on your old 2nd/3rd Gen iPod. You can see that there is a link for "Listen". On clicking this link your iPod internally loads Apple Quicktime Player and starts playing the stream. Basically the iPod starts playing the link http://stream.mastradio.net:8000/listen.pls 
4. To bookmark http://stream.mastradio.net:8000/listen.pls the easiest way is to key in this link on the Safari browser and immediately after pressing enter click stop loading. You can now add this website as a bookmark to your home screen.
5. Now you can load the Internet Radio Station every time by clicking the Home Screen shortcut.
6. Trying to be more creative - you can create your own web page on a free web publishing site like Blogger and create hyperlinks of your favorite Internet Radio Stations ending with the Playlist extension .pls .

Isn't it now simple to play Internet Radio Stations on your 2nd/3rd Gen iPod without the need for an App? Would love to hear your feed back.

No comments: