Fixing your PS/2 Keyboard detection problem

Last year in April I had to replace my original Intel 865 GBF Motherboard as it had gone bad due to my SMPS. At the same time I also changed my SMPS. Everything was running smooth when all of a sudden (from past 2 months) my Motherboard stopped detecting my PS/2 Keyboard occasionally during boot-up. The Keyboard would again start working if I unplugged it & plugged it back again.

I initially thought that possibly my PS/2 Port had gone faulty when my Keyboard wired stretched too much while I was working on my PC few months back. I also thought that my Keyboard (which was around 4-5 years old) had gone faulty I thus got another spare Keyboard from my neighbor for testing purposes. I initially exchanged the Keyboard & Mouse by connecting into each others Ports. But nothing actually worked.

After frantically searching for the solution on the Net last night I interpreted a small little thing though I did not get a direct solution to my problem. Most of the forums talked about USB Power utilization's. It then suddenly struck me that I had permanently connected my external 1 TB Hard Disk to my USB Port which might possibly be drawing Power during boot.

The Final Solution - Keep any USB Powered devices disconnected during Boot if you encounter a similar problem. You could also press your CPU's RESET button if your PC does not proceed with the Boot process in the 1st attempt & continue to keep your USB Powered devices connected during Boot.

Do let me know if my solution works for you.

No comments: