This day last year (7/11)

I was working at my Clients' Dadar office when I received a call from the Datacentre related to some problems with our Internet Proxy Server at around 16:00 hrs. Me & my colleague rushed to the Datacentre at Lower Parel & switched over to our redundant Server. We then started diagnosing & fixing the problems in the Server. It was around 19:00 hrs when we heard many people shouting loudly in the Office Cafeteria, which was besides our Server Room.

When we went out & looked into the TV screens, we realised that something horrible was happenning in the Mumbai suburban local trains. Within a span of 10-15 mins we saw all news channels updating of 6-7 bomb blasts on the Western Railway local trains. As soon as I tried to call my house, I found that all phone lines were busy. Finally I managed to get connected to my dad's cell & informed him that I'm safe. He also gave me another surprising news, that he was out & my mom had mistakenly locked our door when she was in the staircase without realising that she was without the keys. The only way out was to reach my Sisters' place, which was closeby, & where the duplicate keys of my house were avaialble. Moreoever we had shifted to our new flat at Kandivali just 4-5 days back & we didn't know much about our neighbours. So I was instructed to return to my Sisters' place.

It was 19:30. Me & my friend immediately left Office & started heading for our respective homes with no idea about what was in offering for us. My friend headed towards Mulund & I headed towards Kandivali. I walked for a Mile & a half towards Dadar & finally found a Tempo where everyone around was boarding. I also joined the crowd without knowing where the Tempo was heading towards.

As the Tempo started picking up speed I learnt that it was heading towards Vile Parle. The Tempo passed besides Mahim station where we could see Police, Ambulances & large amount of Media people present as it was the most powerful of all blasts. Slowly & steadily we reach Santacruz by around 21:30 hrs. I then got down on the Highway & started requesting for lifts from passer-bys. Suddenly I found a BEST Bus with its board flashing BORIVALI. I immediately boarded the Bus & later realised that the Bus trip was cut short & it would terminate its route at Andheri itself. I had to again get down at Andheri & wait for someone to give me lift upto Kandivali.

Finally a very helpful gentlemen, working as a Manager in GE, asked me & few others to get into his Santro Car with AC switched-on. Ahhh!!!!! what a relieve. We finally started settling down in his comfortable car. He also offered us Biscuits & I still remember how much I enjoyed them after remaining hungry for almost 3-4 hrs in the horrific Tempo travel. On our way we found many people offering Parle-G Biscuits on junction points. Hats off to the spirit of Mumbai !!!!!

I finally reached near Thakur Complex (on the Western Express Highway) by around 23:15, from where I walked upto Kandivali Railway Station & crossed over to the West. I then finally found a rickshaw & headed towards my home. On my way I also dropped another person who was accompanying me in the Car. I reached my Sisters' place by around 23:45, picked up my Mom & Dad & finally reached home at 00:00 hrs.

That was the end of 7/11, a day I would never every forget in my life.

No comments: