Atlast a perfect Cake baked in Microwave !!!!!

Right from my school days I used to hear from my sister that Microwave ovens bake excellent cakes। I am talking about the 90s era when my sister used to frequently visit one of her friends place & would always tell me about the different Microwave delicacies she used to taste there.

We had to wait up to 1999 or so when the first Microwave oven, from IFB, first arrived at our place. After experimenting few dishes few finally decided to bake our first cake in the oven. After the entire baking process we found it pretty disappointing that the cake was not up to the mark & definitely not what we expected after investing Rs.15,000 on a Microwave oven. After discussing with other people we finally realised the flaw..... ours was a standard Microwave oven without the convection feature. We started cursing the sales person who didn't inform about the absence of this feature. We had no other option but to continue with this model until & unless the oven malfunctioned & we had an excuse to get a new one.
1 year, 2 years, 3 years..... Gradually as years progressed we realised that our oven was from an old stock due to which it used to give us frequent problems. Finally we procured a new LG Microwave oven..... off course with the convection feature in Feb'2007. After the demo from the technician a few weeks back, we finally decided to bake our first cake yesterday. We already had our preparations done & my mom had also purchased an Aluminium vessel as the baking vessel. The confusion started in the afternoon about how to go about with the baking process..... whether to bake it in Microwave mode or Convection mode or the Combination mode. I searched through lot of Internet sites & finally decided to use only Convection mode with the Aluminium vessel, which the technician had also suggested.
My mom prepared the dough & in the meantime I preheated the oven to 200 deg C, as instructed in some sites। Finally we transferred the cake mix to the vessel, placed it in the lower rack & set the time for 30 mins. 1 min, 5 mins, 15 mins...... we started getting the lovely cake odour. When it completed 25 mins, I decided to pause & check whether the baking was complete. I took a fork & pierced the centre of the cake & when I removed the form it came out clean. This meant that our cake was ready. So I now stopped the baking process & kept the vessel inside the oven to absorb the remaining heat. After 10 mins or so I finally took out the vessel & allowed it to cool for an hour. Coincidentally my sister also turned up in the evening & was delighted to see the freshly baked Microwave cake, which she always talked about. Finally we cut the cake & relished it to the maximum.

So our patience for almost a decade payed off !!!!

No comments: