Rampant CD Piracy

Last Saturday I was near Andheri Station on the East side heading towards a Christmass Party at Chakala. When I was just moving away from the Station Road, I found many people had gathered at 2-3 places in large groups. On approaching closer to one of these groups I found Pirated Audio, Video & Software CD's being sold. In India Piracy happens in a rampant manner, but what bewildered me was that there were large number of Police present in uniform who were appearing unaware about the illegal sale of these CD's. I don't think that they were anyways unaware, it was all intentional. In India there is a very common term used, "Hafta". So these local Policemen are paid huge amount of money to allow such illegal activities. Sale of Pirated CD's is just one among the list of illegal activities which are permitted on account of "Hafta Vasooli". I had infact seen Traffic Police buying Pirated Audio CD's near Lower Parel Station.

With the legal system failing so miserably to control Piracy, you cannot hold common man responsible for this flurishing business. I will definitely try to post some pictures on this blog showing Police Officials permitting this illegal business.

No comments: